Replacing A Bath With a Walk-in Shower: The Ultimate Guide & Maintenance Tips
Looking to replace your tub with a shower? Replacing a bath with a walk-in shower can provide many benefits, including increased accessibility, more storage space, and a modern look.
If you are considering such an intervention, there are several things to keep in mind. However, a professional company such as Ability Bathe Devon Ltd is your best bet for a successful walk-in shower installation and maintenance.
This article will discuss the pros and cons of replacing a bath with a walk-in shower, as well as some tips for doing so.
Advantages of Replacing A Bath With a Walk-in Shower
There are many advantages to replacing a bath with a walk-in shower.
Firstly, it can provide increased accessibility. If you have mobility issues, a walk-in shower can be much easier to use than a bathtub.
Walk-in showers also tend to take up less space than baths, so if you have a small bathroom, this can be a major advantage.
Secondly, walk-in showers often come with built-in storage solutions, such as shelves and niches. This extra storage space can be invaluable in small bathrooms.
Third, walk-in showers have a sleek look that can help modernize the style of your bathroom. If you are planning on selling your home, a walk-in shower can make it more appealing to potential buyers.
Another great advantage of walk-in showers is that they are relatively easy to clean. The lack of a bathtub means that there is no longer any need to worry about scrubbing hard-to-reach corners or dealing with mold buildup in the grout.
Last but not least, replacing your bath with a shower can save you money in the long run. Walk-in showers are much more efficient at using water than baths, so they can help to lower your energy bills.
Disadvantages of Replacing A Bath With a Walk-in Shower
If you are considering replacing your bathtub with a walk-in shower, there are some important things to take into account.
While a walk-in shower can be convenient and spacious, it also has some disadvantages that you should consider.
So, if you’re on the fence about whether or not to make the switch, here are some things to be wary of:
1. It Can Be Expensive
Depending on the size and style of the walk-in shower you choose, the procedure can be fairly expensive. If you’re on a tight budget, it might not be the best option.
2. A Walk-in Shower May Be Hard to Fit In
If you have a small bathroom, it may be difficult to fit in a walk-in shower. If your space is really cramped, you may be better off sticking with a bathtub.
3. Sealing Issues Can Arise
If not properly sealed, water can leak out of the shower and cause flooding or damage to the bathroom floor. Make sure your contractor seals the shower correctly and that you have regular maintenance check-ups.
4. A Walk-in Shower Can Be Slippery
If you don’t choose the right type of flooring, a walk-in shower can become very slippery. It’s important to be aware of this and take measures to avoid potential accidents.
5. Water May Not Drain Properly Through a Walk-in Shower
If the shower is not installed properly, water can pool in the middle of the floor and cause problems. Make sure that your contractor takes proper measures to ensure that this doesn’t happen.
Maintenance Tips for Replacing a Bath With a Walk-in Shower
If you decide to go ahead with replacing your bathtub with a walk-in shower, it is important to remember that ongoing maintenance is essential.
So, we highly advise you to partner up with a local professional with proven experience.
Tips for Replacing a Bath With a Shower
1. Consider the layout of your bathroom and how a walk-in shower could fit
2. Make sure you choose a shower tray with an anti-slip surface. This will help reduce potential accidents caused by slipping on the wet floor.
3. Use sealant around the edges and corners of your walk-in shower to prevent water from leaking out and damaging the walls or flooring.
4. Invest in a good-quality shower enclosure. This will make your bathroom look more stylish and help keep the water contained.
5. Have a professional inspect your shower periodically to ensure that it is in proper working condition.
6. Clean the tiles regularly to prevent the accumulation of dirt and grime which can cause staining or discoloration over time.
7. Make sure you use a good quality showerhead so that the water pressure is powerful enough to effectively rinse off soap and shampoo.
8. Invest in a high-quality squeegee or brush to help keep the walls and floors of your walk-in shower free from dirt and debris.
9. Use mild detergent and warm water when cleaning the walk-in shower to avoid any potential damage to the tiles.
10. Replace your showerhead regularly so that it continues to provide strong, efficient water pressure.
By following these tips you can ensure that your new walk-in shower remains in good condition for many years to come!
Replacing a bath with a walk-in shower can greatly update your bathroom and add functionality. There are many types to choose from, so you can find the perfect one for your needs.
If you need help deciding which type of walk-in shower is right for you, our team at Ability Bathe would be happy to assist. We have years of experience helping people replace their baths with walk-in showers and we know how to make the process easy and affordable.